Jan 12, 2009

I will not share all of the letters that I will be writing to my son. But this letter contains the outline that I preached on Sunday. It might also give you some insights as to the closeness that my Son and I have together, enjoy:


Saturday night January 10th

I came in from sitting in the hot tub. I have been doing that a lot lately. In the middle of the night, etc… It is a good place to think, and to pray. You are always on my mind. I love you so much. Your mother mentioned that you said that you were doing “fine.” I know that could mean about anything. I believe it means that God is giving to you a “peace that passes understanding.” I will take that as an answer to prayer.

As I mentioned before, I intend to write you often. You will never be far from my thoughts. Although I cannot be at your side, sitting across from your desk, in my mind, I am… and you are there listening, I can almost hear your response. One day you and I will have eternity to share our hearts. I am so anxious for that summer day on the beach…. God knows.

Tonight I will share the outline that I intend to preach tomorrow morning. It is not about you, it is about all of us. Every message that I preach is about “all of us.” As Christians, we are all struggling with much the same things. I am saying this because I am sure that you are very much in my thinking in the preparation for the message, I cannot help that. It is who I am, what I will always be. Here goes the outline:

Do you remember the song that we have been singing in our Church, “When I don’t know what to do?... I’ll lift my hands…” Well, that song is my outline. The person of the story is that of Peter and his growth in Christ.

Point number One: When I don’t know what to do? When the Lord mentioned to his disciples, “I am going to be betrayed and crucified,” it was Peter who said for the Lord to not to go to the cross. Jesus rebuked him and told him that Satan had filled his heart. Peter had believed the “lie.” Peter wanted this world to be his kingdom. He was very uncomfortable with the idea of his chief shepherd being crucified!

We need to remember that our kingdom is not of this world. As I mentioned in my last letter, reread Eccl. 7:13 and 14. There is nothing “certain” in this world. Our kingdom is to come.

Application for you…. It was very apparent that a judge, other than God’s throne of grace, was in control of the courtroom that you were found guilty and sentenced in. Even now, in the county jail, you will encounter much in the way of spiritual warfare. Our kingdom is to come, our kingdom is not of this world. Everything that we own and possess can be taken from us. Everything. There is nothing “certain” in this world.
Back to the story… and there goes Christ off to be crucified.

Point number two: When I don’t know what to say?

Peter is following Jesus afar off. (Matthew 26) He is in the courtyard of the high priest. They are beating up on Christ. Peter is cussing and swearing that he does not know Christ. He does not know what to say. How do you defend a Christ who is unwilling to defend himself? (That is the hardest part about being your Father at this time) Jesus has told him to put away the sword. How confused Peter must have felt. His world is falling a part. The cock has just let out his call of the morning to begin. Peter remembers the words of Christ, “Before the cock crows, you will have denied me thrice.”

Again, Peter's world is falling. He doesn’t know what to say, and so he is cussing at the very Christ that he should have been praising. When the cock crows, Peter remembers, his eyes, and the eyes of the smitten Christ come together. He remembers, he knows the truth about himself. He admits the truth about himself. He leaves, weeping bitterly.

Application: It is hard to look at Jesus when you feel that you have betrayed him. Haven’t we all? How do you even dare look to Christ, when you can only be reminded of your failure by doing so?


Point number three: When I don’t know where to go.

Now, let’s take a walk along the seashore. It is true that you know that Christ has risen from the dead. You know that Christ has resurrection power, but you (Peter) are not certain as to what that means to you. You are Peter. You are fishing. You are fishing because it is all you know. It is a “secular” job. You are out of the spot light. Nobody seems to be paying much attention to you now. But you are fishing all night and catching nothing.

But you are wrong, someone is watching. You are still in the spot light. That person is Christ. He is watching you. He sees your helplessness from the seashore. Jesus takes on the shepherding role once again. He bids you to “cast your nets on the other side.” You do so, because something about the voice of the shepherd on the shore, demands obedience. Something about his voice bids hope. That someone is Jesus. John hears it. John tells Peter, “It is Christ.” Only a few minutes before this, you did not know where to go? Now you do. You run to the throne! You run to Jesus. He has not condemned you. He has prepared a meal for you. He longs for you to “come and dine!”

Application: Run to the throne. As in the story of the return of the prodigal son, the Father is running! He is running to you!


Point number four: When you don’t know what to think…. I’ll stand on his truth.

You are having breakfast with Jesus. You keep looking in wonder at the “all of him.” He is no longer the crucified Christ, he is the risen King. You are so eager to please him. You would do anything to reenter his good graces. He has assignment for you. “Love my lambs.” (You would rather be killing wolves!) It is such a simple request. But in it you find your life again. You have grown in grace. You are no longer seeking the comforts of this world. You now realize that whatever you are to do in this life, it is to be done with eternity in view. Life is not about occupying a throne, hearing the applause of men. Life is about loving one tender lamb at a time for “thy kingdom’s sake.”

Conclusion: In the book of acts, Peter is commanded by the courts, “You are not to speak in the name of Jesus anymore.” Peter’s response, “Whether or not I should obey you, I do not know, but I do know that I cannot help but to speak the things which I have heard an seen.”

Paraphrasing the words of Polycarp, “Christ has never denied me, I cannot deny him now.”

Peter, the one who once denied Christ, would deny him no more.


Hope you enjoyed the message, Son. I enjoyed sharing it with you. I’ll let you close us in prayer.

Dad

PS. I read your blog tonight…. What you wrote two hours before you were sentenced. What can separate me from the love of Christ? Nothing…. Nothing…. Nothing… Nothing.

I love you Son. I am proud of you.

2 comments:

Jen Wagenmaker said...

Just found your page. :) I'm hooked. Love you!

Jen Wagenmaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.