Jan 25, 2009

This is the message and outline that I preached January 25th and as I shared it with my Son, Jerry Jr. in a letter, enjoy:

Now, Jerry, let me share with you the insights that God gave me in the message that I preached to the folks this morning. Here is some of the thoughts in brief, enjoy:

“What more could a man want?”

Text: Exodus 33

Introduction: God has just told Moses that even though he has delivered the people from the Egypt and led them thus far into the wilderness, that he did not plan to go with Moses into the Promised Land. He was angry with the stiffnecked nation as Israel.

When you read the total of the Chapter, you begin to see the great desire of Moses heart. In some ways you would have thought that perhaps Moses was stretching himself to much as he begins making his appeal to the Lord. Think on these thoughts with me…

1. What more could a Man of God want, he had “A Nice Church”

(Exo 33:8 KJV) And it came to pass, when Moses went out unto the tabernacle…

When God blessed us with our new Church building and location, I finally thought to myself, “Jerry, you have finally arrived. It doesn’t get any better than this.”

Moses had the finest building in town. Oh, I know that it might not have looked like much on the exterior of the Tabernacle, but what a glorious interior. Everything was in the colors of gold, and purple, and fine craftsmanship. Who could ask for anything more, right?

2. What more could a Man of God want, He had a lot of people.

(Exo 33:8 KJV) …all the people rose up, and stood every man at his tent door, and looked after Moses, until he was gone into the tabernacle.

I long for the day that we completely fill our Church house wall to wall with people. Moses had over a million people attending his Church. He was there shepherd. That should make him happy, right?

3. What more could a man of God want, he had a prominent position of respect.

(Exo 33:9 KJV) And it came to pass, as Moses entered into the tabernacle, the cloudy pillar descended, and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the LORD talked with Moses.

When Moses stood before the door of the Tabernacle, all the people who were looking on, could see the glory cloud hover around Moses. Certainly they knew that even God recognized Moses as a might man of God. No man could want more than that, right?

4. What more could a Man of God want, he had a generous people who gave good offerings.

(Exo 33:3 KJV) Unto a land flowing with milk and honey…

Whenever Moses took up an offering, these stiffnecked people opened up their wallets to him. They were headed for the land of milk and honey. They were going to be a prosperous people. Have the ability to take up large offering ought to have made any man of God happy, right?

5. What more could a Man of God want, his Church had wonderful praise music

(Exo 33:2 KJV) And I will send an angel before thee; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite:

God told Moses that although, he would not personally go with him into the Promised Land, he would send his angel on before him. For some reason, whenever I think of angels, I think of music...”Though we speak with the voice of an angel…” Our Church has presently been blessed with many wonderful and gifted musicians. Many of the people of our Church may now come, just to hear the praise team play their songs. It is good. That should make any preacher fully happy, right?

6. What more could a Man of God want, in his Church there was a sense of God’s presence.

(Exo 33:14 KJV) And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.

Moses could have played the song, “Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place...” God now promised Moses, my presence will be with you. That should have made the Man of God fully happy, right?

7. What more could a Man of God want, God said to Moses, “ You are my friend.”

(Exo 33:11 KJV) And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend…

What more could a man want? God called him his friend. That should be enough to make any man proud. Being called the “friend of God” should have made this man of God completely happy, who could have asked for anything more, right?

But Moses did ask for more!

“Shew me thy glory”

(Exo 33:18 KJV) And he said, I beseech thee, show me thy glory.

His desire: A personal intimare relationship with the Lord!

(Exo 33:21 KJV) And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
(Exo 33:22 KJV) And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

How close do you want to be to the Lord? Moses wanted his entire being to shine with God’s glory. In John the 15th chapter we read that God wants to indwell us. He is the vine and we are to be his branches. God too, desires our intimacy. God wants to abide in you, and you in him.

I was not satisfied to only date Judy Lockwood for the rest of my life. One day, I asked Judy to be my wife. I was not contented to have her simply strolling by my side on the campus of Tennessee Temple. I was not contented to be her “friend” over telephone conversations. I wanted Judy to be my wife. I wanted her to be my personal intimate partner in life!

Do have that same desire for God?

What more could a man of God want, more of Jesus!

Question: Can others see Christ glowing in and through you? Can others see that you are abiding in Christ, and that Christ is abiding in you?

That the message I preached this morning, Son, I should that is the message that God preached through me this morning. I trust that you were blessed as I was preaching it.

I love you Son…. Someday, soon, together again.

Dad

1 comment:

Bev said...

Pastor, Such a blessed sermon. So much thought. It is wonderful to see it repeated, so it isn't forgotten. SO glad to be in such a beautiful church with such friendly people..my friends. Bev